Sunday, March 17, 2019

The 10/22 Finger Groove Sporter Project Part 1

I bought a factory Finger Groove Sporter stock (known to collectors as an "FGS") at a swap meet last year and knew it would be the start of another project. 

If you were not aware, Ruger offered this model with this stock (some were also checkered) from 1966 through 1971. The stocks were walnut, had a Monte Carlo style with finger grooves cut into the forend. They also featured unique sling swivels.








Originally I thought I would find a vintage (1966-1971) 10/22 and swap it into this stock. Those guns are not found everyday, so I figured in the mean time I could build a reasonable facsimile.

Collecting the parts:
I already have a new take off barrel (from a newer 10/22) and even though it has the warning label, the warning is smaller and less obtrusive than some of the older ones. I also had some original aluminum triggers and mag release buttons....unfortunately I did not have an extra complete aluminum trigger assembly.

So I purchased this Pike Arms stripped aluminum housing that is anodized gloss black, see my review here



I was going to buy a new factory Ruger receiver and after removing the powder coating I would have it cerakoted in gloss black or polished and anodized in black....then I found a steel 10/22 receiver made by Kingston Armory and being sold by Front Line Armory.






Kingston had these receivers cast in steel for their M-1 Garand-10/22 tribute guns



Here is the bolt I plan on using, just a factory bolt, the only thing different about it is the back edge has been tapered



This is the barrel, a brand new take-off. I will polish this to a high shine and reblue it with the receiver.


I already have most of the other parts to assemble the gun, so here are my plans:


  • perform the trigger/action polishing as I do on all my 10/22s
  • assemble my parts into the new trigger housing
  • polish the bolt's internals and pin the firing pin channel
  • polish the receiver and barrel to a very high polish and reblue
  • assemble the gun and go shooting!
I started by test fitting the barrel and the bolt to the new Kingston receiver. They fit just as well as any factory receiver.






Stand by for part 2


No comments:

Post a Comment