Monday, March 25, 2019

The 10/22 Finger Groove Sporter Project Part 3

If you missed parts 1 and 2, click on the links below

Part 1
Part 2

Next I prepared to put the trigger assembly together, I had a factory bolt release that I had modified for automatic release and reblued. I also had a factory aluminum trigger and magazine release that were in good shape.
A quick inventory showed that I was missing the ejector and the hammer strut/spring assembly



So I ordered them up



I polished the mating surfaces of the hammer and sear


As well as the hammer ball end, this is a stamped steel part and they sometimes have rough edges



To solve the issue of the safety detent hole not being deep enough, I trimmed the spring by a couple of coils


Assembled. I tested the safety and it was good to go, plenty of tension on the detent to keep it in place.

I also checked the trigger pull with my Wheeler Engineering Trigger Pull gauge, it averages right about 4 lbs, not too heavy, not too light. I am sure that after a few hundred rounds it will lighten up a bit.


Next I disassemble the bolt and polish the bolt side and bottom, the firing pin & the extractor. 



The barrel and receiver and now blued and we can begin assembling the rifle



Comparison, my polished barrel (top) and a factory barrel (bottom)


Assembly time




Finished!
















Costs for the Project:

Original Finger Groove Sporter Stock: $55.00
Kingston Armory Steel Receiver: $75.00 (including shipping)
New factory barrel: Free
Pike Arms Aluminum Trigger Housing: $67.00
Trigger Parts: $7.95
Bolt Extractor Spring and Plunger: $4.00
Bolt & Bolt Handle: $20.00 (came it a lot of parts)

Total Cost: $228.95

Not too shabby, especially considering we there are only a few used parts, it is basically a new gun with a vintage and highly collectable stock.







2 comments:

  1. Really like this project! Working on an FGS project of my own, would you like to see it when I'm done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, send it to knuckleheadparts@gmail.com

      Delete