Sunday, November 1, 2020

The Marlin Model 60 Super Deluxe Project Part 1



This project started organically, I had wanted one of the Marlin Deluxe 50th Anniversary models, but missed the boat and they are now hard to find for sale.



You may notice the header font matches the font used on the 50th Anniversary model....we'll get to that later



I had also heard that only the first 200-300 of the 50th Anniversary models were made in the old North Haven plant and were said to be of much better quality. Of course if I were to buy one of the 50th Anniversary models it would have to be one of these....

Then I purchased this 1980's vintage Marlin model 60 rifle for $50. It just happened to be one of the coveted mid-eighties models that still have the 18 round magazine (shortened to 15 round in 1987/88) and the last shot hold open feature (added in 1984).

It has the ugly hardwood stock with the "Marshield finish". Here is what it looked like when I brought it home.



The magazine cap needs replacing


These is some minor rust, nothing serious





The receiver will need to be repainted, I am thinking Cerakote



I decided to build the ultimate model 60 by utilizing some of the best parts ever put on a model 60 along with some custom touches.
It will be known as the "Model 60 Super Deluxe Edition".

Then I will refinish the barrel, giving it a high polish blued finish. I will have the receiver refinished with Graphite Black Cerakote. 
I will polish and jewel the bolt and install a scope or an aftermarket set of sights.

The first step was collecting the parts, the gun needed a new magazine plug/cap, so I started looking for that part. Gun Parts Corp was out of stock, so I went on ebay. No parts, just complete magazine tubes.
Then I found a deal on three of them, the 18 rounders. They were complete sets (inside and outside tubes) and one of them was a brass one from the "Golden 50" model.



I prefer the newer style charging handles and happen to have had one in stainless, however they do not fit the pre-2005 bolts. So I found this "low mileage" one that also came with a newer style blued charging handle. Now I could choose stainless or blued.



While I could have just used the factory plastic trigger guard and gold anodized trigger, I decided to use aftermarket parts. I bought this black aluminum anodized trigger guard and black 3/8" wide target trigger from DIP

For the sights I decided on a set of Williams Firesights




When it came to replacing the stock, I wanted one of the 50th Anniversary models, but they are sold out and Marlin no longer stocks them. 


I did find this stock at Gun Parts Corp. They claimed it was walnut and checkered.....so I ordered it up hoping it was the real deal


As it turned out, this was not walnut, it was some hardwood (Beech or Birch)

Then I found this Boyd's unfinished walnut thumbhole stock on ebay for a reasonable price. 


While the inletting is 90+% there, the exterior could use some slimming down







Here is the project rifle next to its new stock


We'll start this project with the stock. I had thought about installing a thin rubber recoil pad, but when rummaging through my supply of recoil/butt pads I found a factory Marlin one that I had picked up a while back for a dollar.
It was nearly the exact same size as the Boyd's butt plate that was already installed, except the holes were not lining up correctly.

  

I also decided to add a while line spacer, this is a traditional trim element used in days past and I like the way they look. Here is a Marlin model 99 (the model the preceded the model 60) for reference.



I bought a piece of thin white ABS plastic a few years back for this purpose, I just trace the butt plate and cut it out



Next is the screws, I decided go with some more traditional slotted screws (rather than the Phillips head ones that come standard on the model 60). These are reproduction Winchester screws, I buy them in bulk and in the white (bare steel). I then polish them and blue them.



I ended up buying a new butt plate, even though the one I had was in good shape, it had some flaws, so I ordered a new one





stay tuned for part 2


No comments:

Post a Comment