Monday, November 9, 2020

The Marlin Model 60 Super Deluxe Project Part 2

If you missed part 1 see it here

We're starting with the stock, we'll begin with fitting the factory Marlin butt plate and white spacer to the Boyd's stock.

First we have to drill out and plug the old holes.

Here is the Boyd's butt plate and ugly Phillips screws, next to the new Marlin butt plate with the polished reproduction, slotted screws.




I had to slightly enlarge the holes in the Marlin butt plate, so I drilled the white line spacer at the same time


After drilling the old holes in the butt stock to 1/4", I cut these plugs from a 1/4" dowel, I used the pliers to put some grooves in them so the glue has something to grip on to


Glued in place, I'll wipe off the excess and let it cure over night



after the glue cured, I filed down the nubs and block sanded the butt stock with 150 grit sand paper



I then positioned the new butt plate and taped it into place


After drilling the screws go in, the yellow stuff is carnuba wax



Then I start to file the butt plate and spacer until flush with the wood


The wood and butt plate are about 95% fitted, now I will begin sanding


Here it is sanded to a 150 grit, once the other parts are fitted we can move up to 220, 280, 320 then 400 grit in preparation for the oil finish.


The next step was to fit the trigger guard. The inletting was deeper than it needed to be and the thickness of the stock made it difficult to reach the trigger.

In addition the cut out for the safety had a sharp edge that needed to be knocked down.

I used an old broken trigger guard as a guide




Getting closer, I was using 100 grit paper, I didn't want to take too much material


Then I checked the fit with the aluminum DP products trigger guard, it is a bit thicker than the factory plastic one. It is almost perfect.


Here it is ready for oil
we'll be using Minwax Antique Oil Finish
The first coat goes on heavy, but the wood soaks it up
Some distinct tiger stripes appeared on the forend.....
After 24 hrs, the first coat is cured, I then sand in the second coat with 400 grit paper. I create a slurry of oil and sanding dust, then push it into the grain by rubbing it in across the grain

Here it is after 6 or 7 coats (I lost count). The last few coats were sanded in with 1200 grit sand paper.

















No comments:

Post a Comment