Sunday, May 13, 2018

Past Projects Part 4


This project was one of my most ambitious and longest running projects. I received the gun in November 2015 and finished it in February 2018.
The owner had brought me guns before and put his faith in me that I could repair and restore the gun. You must understand that this gun had no collector value when we started, so we didn't destroy a collector gun. The gun was a Marlin model 1893 made in 1913. It was originally nickel plated. These guns came in either nickel plated or color case frame with rust blued barrel. We were going to hot salts blue the entire gun after fitting the new stocks and removing the rust and pitting (which was extensive). This link takes you to the final post which has links to all the others

Before


After




A friend of the family had a bunch of guns he wanted to sell, one of them was a 1943 dated Remington M1903A3, that had been sporterized. Lucky for me that the previous owner had not drilled and tapped the receiver or did anything permanent. I just needed to find a new stock and parts to bring it back to the way it was, see the story here



This was the first of many 10/22 projects, I took a factory beech wood stock and made the little rifle look like a Spencer Carbine. See the write up here




Another 10/22 project, a custom, lightweight stock, dyed fuschia pink



Another custom 10/22 stock, I called  this one the Hoplophobe Project



I reblued the finish on this little JC Higgins .22 single shot rifle




My craziest 10/22 build: a custom stocked high polished target rifle, I used quite a few cheap (and some not so cheap) tricks while still keeping it under a $400 total budget, I named her "Ava", see the story here



 A local forum member inherited his Grandfather's Remington 1100 shotgun, before he got it his Father and Brother had owned it and it was in need of a freshening up. I installed a new recoil pad (including a matching white line spacer) refinished the wood (matching the original Remington high gloss finish) and steel and made her look new again, see more here





 I reblued my neighbor's Ruger Single Six, see details here




Another Dan Wesson revolver, this one a model 14 that appeared to have been in law enforcement or security work, it had some nasty graffiti (badge number??) that we removed before rebluing the steel, see more here





I built a tribute to the Richardson Guerilla Gun, a home built slam fire 12 gauge shotgun, see the build here




Then my Father and I built a Cobray (Leinad) Model D .45/.410 pistol from a kit, see the build here





I reblued another S&W revolver, this one a model 586, that the owner called a "truck gun", he wasn't concerned about the results, he just wanted it blued. He was impressed with the finish when I was done. See the process here




A $20 yard sale find becomes a youth training rifle. The Lil' Buckeroo project cost me zero dollars, in fact I made money on the spare parts I sold. See it here




I build another 10/22, this time a custom tactical stock. The butt stock was made from aluminum. Parts were donated by an AR rifle, an AK rifle and bits and pieces from my shop. See the build here


A local forum member asked me to install some iron sights on a sporterize Mosin-Nagant rifle, I enlisted the help of a friend and after successfully installing the sights I matched the existing camo paint job, see the details here

Project War Horse was a "Black Army" Colt 1911 that the owner wanted a high polish finish on. I complimented the deep black finish by nitre bluing the trigger, hammer, safety, slide release and screws, see the build here





 I wanted a high polish finish on my stainless Ruger SR1911, so after polishing the gun I had the engravings reapplied by a laser engraver.

  


One of the other guns I purchased with the Remington M1903A3 was this Western Field 45, which is a brand labeled version of the Savage model 4. After making sure the gun was a good shooter (had to find a magazine for it first) I proceeded to refinish the gun, it came out very nice. See the build here





I also installed a used recoil pad and refinished this Remington butt stock





Here is the 10/22 I built for my local forum. I put a high polish blued finish on the barrel, had the receiver laser engraved and custom finished a factory walnut stock for it.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3




That was the first 5 years, I have about a dozen completed projects that I have not posted yet, so stayed tuned to the blog.





1 comment:

  1. Very nice job on the Marlin. I have a sporterized 1903A3, but the barrel was replaced and the front portion of the receiver was drilled and tapped to mount a scope. I looked at possibly trying to restore it, but I don't think it would be worth the money or the effort.

    ReplyDelete