Thursday, May 10, 2018

Past Projects Part 3


We left off with my Arisaka project, it was a turning point, it was that project where I started to learn how to finally take good pictures, it is all about the lighting and the more natural light the better.

We'll start this one with perhaps what could be the worst candidate I that had worked on to date. This poor Ruger Standard pistol had been left under the seat of a Jeep for several years, the owner was going to part it out, I told him to bring it to me and I would bring it off life support. See the story here





I found this Marlin model 60 at the gun show for cheap, it was rusty and ugly, so I cleaned it up, threw some flat black paint on it, a 3-9x50mm scope and cheek rest. See the details here

  
Another long term project: The Colt New Service, this gun was over 100 years old when I refinished it. I wanted to give it a military type finish, a satin look. I had to be careful not to destroy the shallow roll marks. Among the repairs included installing a new barrel (first time for me) and ejector rod. See the story here




The same owner brought me a gun that he said had survived a house fire, I dubbed it the Phoenix Project, it was a Colt Trooper MkIII, that we replaced almost every part on, the contrast of before and after were pretty striking. I even had someone accuse me of using pictures of two different guns....another great compliment, but if you go to my blog posts you can see the transformation



I did some upgrades to my Ruger .45 Vaquero, some new stocks, nitre bluing small parts and fixing some issues. Details here




Another $40 shotgun, this one a Remington Sportsman model 58, first year production. My Father-in-law bought it at a yard sale for me. It was a bit rusty, but nothing I couldn't handle. The metal received a high polish finish, I jeweled the bolt and nitre blued the small parts, see the story here




This gun didn't get refinished, just cleaned up. It was a stainless Smith & Wesson model 67 that looked like it had seen a hard life, see more here



This was another gun that just needed cleaning up, a Colt Detective Special, the owner was considering selling the gun. I of course offered to buy it, but after seeing it cleaned up, he decided to keep it, see more here



The same owner had me clean up this Mossberg model 800 rifle, this one he did sell...to my Father. see it here


A friend alerted me to this gun being sold on Armslist (first time I ever bought a gun on Armslist). It turns out the seller knew of me through my blog and presence on the local gun forums



What started out as a simple restoration of a 3-screw Ruger Blackhawk, became a custom project of sorts, which included some firsts for me, my first set of homemade grips, my first rust blued gun and I adapted (with the help of a friend) a Colt 1860 brass grip frame to the Ruger, see the build here



Here is another gun that needed cleaning up. This is a Browning Automatic Rifle that I cleaned up the freckling on the blued steel and refinished the wood to look like the factory finish, it turned out pretty good. See the story here




This project was for my son, I bought him this Marlin model 81 DL .22 rifle for his 12th birthday, the butt stock was broken and the butt plate was missing. We used a slip on pad for awhile, but it was time to fix it right, see the story here



After making some grips for my old model Blackhawk I decided to try and make some for the birds head brass grip frame I got with the old model Blackhawk, then install it on my Vaquero. I also built scales for a dagger to match from the same piece of Teak.




I built this SKS for my Nephew, he got the gun for free because it wouldn't fire. After fixing the problems, he asked me to make it more tactical and give it a camo paint job. See the build here





  Stay tuned for part 4

No comments:

Post a Comment