Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Guest Post: Remington Model 12-CS Restoration Part 6

Part 6 of this restoration of a Remington model 12CS, see the previous posts by clicking the links below:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Started on getting the chip damage repaired.

Got the selected damaged portion of the stock removed. Forgot to take any pictures of the rig made up to hold the stock in position for the 90° vertical cut.

Sorry - some pics a little out of focus ...

The dark spot on top lower right is the dried epoxy used to fill the hole to secure the crack that was in the inside of Trigger Group cavity.

Holes drilled for dowel guides ... corresponding holes drilled in the bottom of the replacement block ..

Block was put in place then removed to check glue disbursement ...

Think anyone would notice if it was not trimmed down ?

Clamped and stationary for 8-12 hours

Had some good fortune today ... found the rear elevator for the rear sight. The gun I have in hand had it's missing in action.

This is a special sight elevator made for the Octagon Barrel. Seems they are very hard to come by. My most common reaction to asking a vendor about them was HUH ? Numrich doesn't list them and really haven't found them in any searches I have done. I did find the 1 random picture below after searches through 4 or 5 different search engines.

I was told they are referred to as "the winged elevator sight". Got this from the same vendor I got the Action Bar from. After I had gotten be Action Bar ordered and we got it all decked out with the parts I needed he asked if I needed anything else ... I said no and we were hanging up and I kinda yelled out and said yes there is. Luckily he could still hear me. I asked if he had the rear elevator sight and he asked which one. He said there were three options. After he questioned me it was determined that I did want the winged version. He said he was making sure because when they showed up they commanded a pretty penny. He asked if I wanted it still after he told me the price. Just a hair under $40.00 ... but I was sure the gun owner would want it so I told him to add it to the order. I got the "one" he had.

A phone call after the purchase to the owner affirmed my action. Things are starting to come together.

Progress made on getting the 2 chips on top of the stock up by the receiver repaired.

Made the piece out of some walnut stock I have on the shelf. Used the band saw, a couple of different rasps, two different files and sandpaper with a wood backer.

Some pics of the shaping process - took about an hour:

Getting the cut off angle marked ...

Much of the excess cut away with the band saw. I could cut it closer but leaving a little more gives me a little more margin for error as I start the initial rasping away of the wood.

Just getting started defining the angle, marking the line where the curve flatens on top and first cuts on the angles for shaping the sides.

More rasping and shaping. You can see here in this pic the reason for the 5 layers of tape. No matter how careful I am I can't avoid this.

About this point I switched from the rasps to the files.

So am now left with cutting this end off to length and forming the little flat bottom circle shape that fits into the back of the Trigger Assembly frame.

One more task completed ... Now got to finalize the plan of attack on getting the new end formed in like the old one above. Thinking coping saw and some very sharp wood chisels. Gonna do a little experimenting before jumping in on getting this accomplished.

Got the Receiver end of the Butt Stock formed out. Have just a little bit of sanding left for final prep. One disappointment. In doing my measuring prep - somewhere in the process I did not take into proper account the curve of the stock and the angle of the end cut. I have a small gap in the finish of the stock against the receiver along the top edge. It is nothing devastating but disappointing to me ... I will show it to you when I get the gun back together. Will have to take much more care with determining where cut lines should be.

First cut ... outline of the cut for the center stabilizing circle. Made this cut with a coping saw. Chiseld the excess down to the penciled shaping line with small cuts. Finished the shaping with a couple of small files and sanding.

Finishing off shaping results.

Quick and dirty pics of the stained pieces. A couple or so are not focused very well ... need to get better lighting in the finishing room to take any decent pictures in there over the long haul.

May get some ebony stain out tomorrow and mix with the walnut and see if I can get the repair piece to stain a little darker. Will decide when I go out in the morning and see how it strikes me after being away from it overnight.

Guest Post provided by:
Bobby Turner - STOCKAID RESTORATIONS - stockaidrestorations@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment