Thursday, August 23, 2018

Guest Post: Remington Model 12-CS Restoration Part 1

We're doing something a little different this month.

This guest post is of a restoration that I found on a national gun forum. I asked the restorer if I could publish this on my blog and he agreed. He took a ton of photos, and in keeping with his original intent, I wanted to include them all. So in order to fit it into reasonably sized posts I broke it into 7 segments.
We are going to run these in rapid fire succession, one each day for the next 7 days. 

As always the italicized words are that of the author. His enterprise is called Stockaid Restorations and he can be reached at:  stockaidrestorations@gmail.com.





A guy called and said he had a rifle he wanted to have restored to working order and refinished. I asked what it was. He said he wasn't sure.

After a few questions and some answers from him I did some research on the info he gave me that was stamped on the gun. It has now been established it is Remington Model 12 CS also known as a Remington Special - .22 WRF. A pump action rifle. Basically an obsolete ammo - not totally non acquirable but not a lot of it around and you do $$$$ PAY $$$$ for it when you do find it.

He had pulled the gun out of one of his safes. Doesn't remember exactly when he got it but it is a family hand me down.

He brought the gun down to me ... did some examination ... found after looking at the gun that the pump action does not work. Trigger is locked in place. Safety does not work through it's full range properly. Fore grip travels too far forward when it is extended toward the front of the gun. Bolt is locked in place. Screws are pretty much rusted in place - tried turning them and had no success but I did not force them. Will have the gun clamped down and in a position to work in those with a little more pressure if a serious effort is made to go forward with the project.

2 screws missing ... Inner mag tube missing ... ( parts available for replacement )

Have a couple of wood issues that will have to be dealt with.

Can't check the bore just yet ... no way to get light to it so I can see.

The gun was manufactured in August of 1924. I checked around and any parts that I think we might need to make the gun functional again seem to be available.

Nifty little rifle. Contemplating whether or not to take this on.















After sleeping on this little decision last night and a phone call this morning to the gun's custodian, some back and forth on what we have to work with here, I have come to a course of action he agrees with.

There will be no real level of expectation here. Just the best that can be done. That is a good situation but DOES NOT SIT WELL with my "anal" approach to a final product. ( this project could be never ending ... LOL ) It may or may not be a success on any level.

So I am going to get the butt stock off ... fill a bucket with a soaking solution ... stand the gun up butt down in the "gunk" submerging every moving part, screw and threaded piece. Will let it sit for "awhile" - meaning - "a?w?h?i?l?e" ...

If it can be torn down there will be an inspection of the bore and internals and after evaluation we will proceed from there.

Note ... that little voice in the back ground is still screaming "SPRINT" - just have temporarily stuffed in some imaginary ear plugs.


Stay Tuned for Part 2


Guest Post provided by:
Bobby Turner - STOCKAID RESTORATIONS - stockaidrestorations@gmail.com.

1 comment: