I thought it looked like an interesting project. So I asked him if he had pictures of the build. After a quick discussion he agreed to let me post his build here on my blog.
The rest of the words (italicized) are his
I started with a $20 empty, rusty frame and a bulged barrel. I bought it with no idea of what I was going to do with it. It was too far gone to put back to original.
I had some parts left over from a couple of 520 projects, so I decided to make something out of it.
The parts that I did have to get for it were the worst and rustiest parts I could find. I wanted it to look rough and well used, like a gun that came from a Mad Max movie.
I cut the barrel to 19" and bought a heat shield for the top of the barrel. I did not like that the heat shield did not go to the the end of the barrel, so I extended it with a section of aluminum oval tubing and drilled holes to match the original heat shield.
I fabricated the breacher at the end of the barrel to make the end of the barrel look bigger. I then turned down a brass machine screw for a large front sight.
Steel tubing was used for the pump and drilled to match the heat shield. The handle was cut from 3/8" steel and welded to the pump, the grips were made from some scrap ebony that I had.
The stock was some local walnut that I had and was finished rough to match the rest of the gun.
In the stock is a small dagger that is spring loaded and released by pushing a button, just in case you run out of ammo.
The project was a big change for me, not trying to make it look good was tough.
The gun functions great and is fun as hell to shoot
I included a couple of photos of it's little brother, they both look like they have been through hell, but both still work good.
Mr. Browning knew what he was doing, over 100 years later along with a lot of poor treatment and both are still working.