Tuesday, June 9, 2020

The Ruger Standard Project Part 2

Part Two of our restoration of a Ruger Standard pistol, if you missed part one, click here.



The safety had a bur on it from where the slide was rubbing against it, I took a file and smoothed it out.














I used a small file to remove most of the pits and true up the bottom.



I also cleaned up the front sight, it appears that Ruger assembled the front sight before bluing, so I will do the same, the fit is pretty tight.


Polishing out the pits




Once I had the parts nice and smooth, I brought the shine down a bit with some Scotchbrite pads


On almost every gun I work on I perform some clean up of the internal parts. Unless you buy a custom gun, most gun parts are stamped or machined and installed as is. There just isn't room in the budget for manufacturers to perform the task of polishing all the individual parts.

I have seen videos on slicking up the action on a Ruger Mark series pistol, the results are a lighter and smoother trigger pull. The trigger plunger, trigger bar, hammer and sear have all been deburred and polished.

Here are the parts before polishing:






I cleaned up the hammer lead in and the sear engagement surface with a stone and some oil 




I also took apart the bolt, cleaned the bolt's internals and polished the firing pin and extractor. The bolt is in remarkably good condition. 




Here is everything after polishing and a good bath of Hoppes #9 



I reassembled the bolt, it is oiled up and ready for action