Thursday, July 19, 2018

The Born Again Winchester Project part 5


This the fifth and final installment of this restoration. If you missed the first four posts or the Featured Gun post, you can see them by clicking the links below:

Featured Gun: Winchester Model 250
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Reassembly time. I inserted the barrel into the receiver and after about ten tries, I am sure I have it on straight. The barrel only slides in so far, the spanner nut forces it on the rest of the way




Without the help of instructions or a legible parts diagram I need to make this mess of parts into a working action.....arrrgg





After getting the action put together I installed the stocks....then discovered something. The stock set I bought was listed for a model 190 and the two guns have a different pistol grip, the lever would not close.





Here it is compared to the original stock



So back on ebay I went, I found a model 250 butt stock that was in very good condition for $29 + shipping.


Yep we got the right contour this time


The 250's wrist is squared off


Much better



Last remaining items were the sights, I could not find a replacement for the front sight, so I decided to try and clean it up

It looked pretty bad



But it cleaned up pretty nice, not to shabby


A couple of coats of cold blue and some oil


After installing it I painted what was left of the aluminum bead with some bright orange sight paint


Here are the pictures of the finished rifle:













I'll need to dab some cold blue on the magazine pin










Before and after pictures
















Costs for the project:

Rifle, slightly smoked: $50

NOS 190 Forend: $46.45
NOS model 250 butt stock: $28.95
Paint: $0, already had from another project.

Total spent: $125.40





6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might be the best work you've done yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent restoration work, great photo's and write up. Well done!

    Tomcat21

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Winchester----model 250 22 S.L. or L.R.----poor guy. I've been looking for someone to save this gun for years. I've had it for maybe 15 yrs hidden from my pops. I broke it in half, well I mean it lost the lever and the guts inside all that's left is a broken stock and full barrel with sights. Can u help someone out buddy??? If not before Christmas just repairing it would be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name's Eddie Ornelas you reach me at ornelase419@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete