This the fifth and final installment of this restoration. If you missed the first four posts or the Featured Gun post, you can see them by clicking the links below:
Featured Gun: Winchester Model 250
Reassembly time. I inserted the barrel into the receiver and after about ten tries, I am sure I have it on straight. The barrel only slides in so far, the spanner nut forces it on the rest of the way
Without the help of instructions or a legible parts diagram I need to make this mess of parts into a working action.....arrrgg
After getting the action put together I installed the stocks....then discovered something. The stock set I bought was listed for a model 190 and the two guns have a different pistol grip, the lever would not close.
Here it is compared to the original stock
So back on ebay I went, I found a model 250 butt stock that was in very good condition for $29 + shipping.
Yep we got the right contour this time
The 250's wrist is squared off
Last remaining items were the sights, I could not find a replacement for the front sight, so I decided to try and clean it up
It looked pretty bad
But it cleaned up pretty nice, not to shabby
A couple of coats of cold blue and some oil
After installing it I painted what was left of the aluminum bead with some bright orange sight paint
Here are the pictures of the finished rifle:
I'll need to dab some cold blue on the magazine pin
Before and after pictures
Costs for the project:
Rifle, slightly smoked: $50
NOS 190 Forend: $46.45
NOS model 250 butt stock: $28.95
Paint: $0, already had from another project.
Total spent: $125.40