Monday, November 18, 2019

Refinishing a Mossberg model 380 rifle part 2

Part 2 of this project, see Part 1 here


When we left off we were still trying to remove the pits with 100 grit sand paper, once I had 90% of the pits removed, I stepped up to 150 grit



Then 220 grit



280 grit




320 grit



And finally 400 grit



Then it was time to get the small parts prepped, on this one we only had one take down screw, the charging handle and rear sight

The rear sight had some deep pitting just like the barrel did


After sanding and burnishing with the wire wheel

  Take down screw needed some saving. First I wrapped the threads with tape





Then put the screw in my vise and tapped the metal back into place




Then using my drill, I polished the surface with sandpaper to a 400 grit




Stay tuned for Part 3
 

1 comment: