Tuesday, January 19, 2021

The Savage-Stevens 325A Project Phase III Part 3

If you missed parts 1 & 2, click on the links below

Part 1
Part 2

Now it is time to start on the metal, Disassembly first, then we must remove the paint so we can get to the rust and pitting underneath



When removing the rear sight, I found metal shavings in the threaded hole, these are 72 years old....




I used the wire wheel on my bench grinder to clean up the barreled action



The some of the small parts get the same treatment



I had one rear screw and two front, I will not need the fronts, but I decided to restore them anyway




Next I put the barreled action in the vice and go at it with 100 grit sand paper



Once I had the barrel to a 320 grit level, I started on the receiver



I then taped up the barrel and sand blasted the receiver, 


It is now ready for the bluing tank


The parts have been blued




Time to reassemble the trigger mechanism, the brass screws are place holders for the rivets



I was able to score this used bolt on ebay



Stay tuned for Part 4

No comments:

Post a Comment