Sunday, January 10, 2021

The Savage-Stevens 325A Project Phase III Part 2

When we left off we were steaming the dents out of the rifle, see part 1 here.

After getting as many of the dents out as I could, I started sanding the stock with 150 grit, then 220, then 320 and finally 400 grit.


I then raised the grain by getting the surface of the wood wet and letting it dry for about an hour, I did this twice to try and prevent the grain from raising during while applying the dye.




I am finally going to try my Keda Dye kit that I bought a while ago....


I mixed a small amount it a disposable cup of hot water


Then applied the dye with a cotton ball


after three applications it quit getting any darker...


So I tried the Fiebings Leather Dye, I have use it on its own with mixed results, maybe it will work better with a base coat already on the wood?


The Fiebings provided the dark color, but we did get some splotchy areas.




Before starting the Tru-Oil, I decided to drill the rear sling swivel stud, probably should have done this during the sanding stage....I marked a spot about 2.5" from the toe, and as close to center as I could get



As mentioned above, we will be using Tru-Oil on this one, I am shooting for a high gloss finish, with multiple layers of oil 


I rubbed in the first coat of Tru-Oil with my finger, until it was dry, then let it cure for 4 days, normally I would only wait 24 hours, but I had to leave town on business, so it got some extra time to cure.



The color is pretty dark, but I think the grain will show through after some more applications of oil


After four coats of oil, I gently buff the surface in between coats with some fine scotchbrite


and finished, 6 coats of Tru-Oil rubbed in. It is darker than I wanted, but better than being too light I guess, I'll have to see what it looks like in natural light




No comments:

Post a Comment