Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Project Night Prowler Reduex pt 4

Part four of this continuing series.

See the previous posts by clicking on the links below

Project Night Prowler

Project Night Prowler Reduex pt1

Project Night Prowler Reduex pt2

Project Night Prowler Reduex pt3

When we left off we were going to perform some mods to the barrel and stock.

I ordered up a new scope mount

and a green laser kit 

I stripped the gun back down and removed the bolt and handle. The bolt was disassembled and the handle stripped on the wire wheel so they could both be reblued 

I then marked 3" from the end of the barrel and marked the end of the magazine tube knob, I need to cut somewhere in between these marks

Hack saw did the trimming

After cutting I put the dovetail jig on the barrel, just below the cut line so I could file the end square. The jig is hardened so the files will not cut into it, you simply file until you hear the "sing" of the file hitting the hardened steel

Some sandpaper and a block cleans it up

I then put a cleaning patch just inside the muzzle and chucked a brass stove bolt into my drill, added a copious amount of valve grinding compound and started cutting a new crown

Just a small rebated crown is all that is needed to protect the rifling. I also broke the edge of the outside of the muzzle.

After a thorough cleaning I put another patch in the barrel so I could paint the barrel with flat black

Now the barrel is just a bit longer than the mag tube

I got the bolt and charging handle blued

And reassembled

I replaced the screws with some thin/low head Allen screws

I also cleaned up the casting flash to make the gun more comfortable to handle

I added some covers to the right side picatinney rail

I decided that I wanted a vertical fore grip, I removed the front sling swivel mount and found a replacement screw to hold on the extra picatinney rail

I drilled the rear hole into the front cover and attached the rail, I used what screws I had available, they will be covered by the VTG anyway

The next thing on the list was to create some sort of traction on the butt plate, so I ordered up a small soldering iron and tried my hand at stippling.

I decided I wanted some sort of design, so I added a Punisher sticker and will stipple around it, leaving the area under the skull intact

Stay tuned for part 5

No comments:

Post a Comment