Friday, August 14, 2020

Ruger 10/22 Finger Groove Sporter Tribute Part 2

If you missed part 1, see it here

After installing the grip cap and fitting it, I found that there was too much of a gap where the grip was rounded off. 




I decided to hide the gap, I would add a white spacer and fill in the missing wood with some saw dust and glue. I also switched to #4 screws, the #3s were a little too short/small to begin with


Mixing up the glue/saw dust


Grip cap installed and glue/saw dust mixture applied.


After curing for 24hrs I filed and sanded it down



Getting closer



This is a 220 grit finish, still some areas to work over



I wetted the wood with a damp rag, this helps identify the sanding and filing marks that need to be removed as well as raises the grain


In case you were wondering, this is what walnut looks like when the grain is raised....like metal, it often looks worse before it looks better


A 400 grit finish, ready for the oil



We'll be using Minwax Antique Oil Finish



The first coat is rubbed in hard with the palm of my hand, then cured for 24hrs.


Like a dummy, I forgot to inlet the front sling swivel before applying the oil....Here is what I plan on using, it is the rear sling swivel mount from a Mauser K98 rifle, it is similar to the one Ruger used on the original Sporter Finger Groove 


I started by clamping the stock down to the bench and center punching the holes



I drilled the holes


Then started removing wood





Then I realized I needed to relieve some wood to make room for the swivel

I had seen old Winchester model 70s with two screw swivels had reliefs cut to make room, here are a couple I found online




Here is another solution, remove wood around the swivel so it sits up on an island.



Here is what I came up with, I ended up having to plug one of the holes as it was no longer centered after I inletted the mount




I made the rear swivel using a loop that I found in a box of parts for $1 (I am pretty sure it is a factory Ruger part) and a standard swivel stud. I had to trim the swivel stud down to fit the loop




Test fit, I will blue it with the other parts before installing




In part three we will get back to filling the grain on the stock



2 comments: