Thursday, January 24, 2019

The 870 Wingmaster Project Part 5

If you missed the first three parts click on the links below

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3 
Part 4

With the receiver/magazine, barrel and stocks ready, it is time to work over the small parts

I start with the bolt, the parts were filthy

I cleaned the parts with Hoppes #9, then I polished the firing pin and extractor plunger, the polished all the surfaces of the extractor, to reduce friction

Reassembled, ready for service.

Next I turn to the trigger guard assembly

plenty of filth & corrosion

A soak in Hoppes # 9 

The trigger is polished

There was some pitting on the action release

After sanding and polishing, these parts are ready to be reblued

Cleaning up the safety recess, 400 grit paper and a pencil to the trick

The plunger for the hammer spring, I used a .22 mag shell case wrapped in sand paper to clean up the inside

To polish the outside, I chucked it into my cordless drill and polished it with sand paper at high speed

I did the same with the pivot pins, here you can see before and after

I cleaned up the hammer and polished any surface that would contact another part

All the non-blued parts cleaned up and ready to go

The carrier showed up, here it is next to the old one

And after installing the carrier dog

Then I cleaned up the trigger assembly pins and recoil pad screws

 And the other small parts

I was bluing some other gun parts so I reblued the parts for the 870 that I had ready to go

Next I paint the safety/fire indicator with red enamel paint

Time to make this mess of parts into a working trigger assembly

After a few choice words and some tinkering, I got it together


Costs for this project:

Shotgun purchase: $14 (give or take)
Used carrier: $12.50
Butt stock: $5.00
Forearm: $5.00
Recoil pad: $1
Sling Swivel Set: $1.37 
Brass Bead: $5.95

Total: $44.82

edit: Action Bar Lock Spring: $12.95

New Total: $57.81

Before and after pictures

I had a couple of issues I needed to fix after putting the gun together.
The shell latches were coming loose and causing binding. So I bought a shell latch staking tool from Midway USA

The tool dimples the metal on both the frame and the latch, keeping it in place, just as the factory did

The second issue is the action bar would not return to its normal state, I thought it was biding or rubbing on the side of the receiver, but I came to the conclusion that the spring must be old and week, so I ordered a new one

My suspicions were confirmed, the spring was weak, the gun now functions like a champ

On to the next project

1 comment: