Friday, January 18, 2019

The 870 Wingmaster Project Part 4

If you missed the previous posts on this project click on the links below:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3 

A Police shotgun should have a barrel of 20 inches or less, so we will cut this one down to around 18"



Measuring where to cut the barrel, 18" would have been legal, but I always cut a little long, you know because prison....


Too late to turn back now......

The hacksaw always leaves a rough and not so square edge, so I broke out my dove tail jig and mounted it just below the lowest spot on the barrel and started in with a bastard file



Then I cleaned up the inside edges with a rat tail file and sanded the top using 220 grit paper and a block


Measure for the brass bead sight, the chart tells me I need a #31 drill (.1200") fit the minor diameter of the #6-48 brass bead. So I measured 5/8" from the new muzzle and drilled the hole  



Then I taped the hole with a #6-48 tap 




Then I start sanding from the magazine ring forward (this is the underside of the barrel)


  
 Progress is slow......this is why I couldn't make a living at this, a replacement barrel is cheaper than paying someone to sand out the pits


After many hours of sanding we have it as close to perfect as it will get, this is a 600 grit finish to match the receiver/mag tube



I then started on the action bar, it needed a cleaning inside and out and it had some pitting on the slide bars





I got the parts blued, they hazy finish is oil, I usually leave them covered in oil for a day or two



When installing the bead front sight I noticed it wasn't as tight as I would have liked, so I used some Uncle Mikes thread locker to keep it in place.



After the thread locker set-up I filed the bottom of the threaded portion sticking into the barrel



now we just need clean up the small parts and reassemble the shotgun
 

No comments:

Post a Comment