Sunday, October 23, 2016

The 10/22 Target Rifle Project part 8: The Stock

This is the second installment on the stock work for this project. See the first one here.

Before cutting and attaching the butt stock I wanted to fit the rear tang and bed the receiver. I found this flanged washer in my nut and bolt bin, I have no idea where it came from, but it is perfect for this application. I'll install in in the front action screw hole so when the screw in tightened the wood cannot flex and cause the barrel to change point of aim.

I could have bought one of these units made for the 10/22, but again, we have to stick to a budget and use as many DIY solutions as we can.

I drilled out the hole to 3/8" and checked the fit.

In order to make sure the new pillar will touch the screw escutcheon and also not raise the height of the receiver, I'll need to take some material away. I used a spade bit to remove the wood. JB weld will go underneath the pillar to fill any gaps and secure it to the wood.

Next I marked and removed the wood to make room for the rear tang and anchor

Before mixing up the bedding compound (JB Weld) I cut a groove in the anchor to help the JB Weld "bite" into the metal

I then taped up the receiver and barrel, then coated the threads with wax. Mixed up the JB weld and put the receiver in the stock using a clamp to hold it down.

 When I cracked it open in the morning, the anchor was nicely secure in the stock, I should have put some release agent on the tape though, now I have some cleaning to do.

 Up front we have a nice platform for the action to sit on, the pillar is just below the surface. The barrel bed was not thick enough, I'll wait until it is cured and put another layer in

 While I was waiting for the bedding compound to cure I began sanding on the forend. I want the three sides to taper towards the front. I also wanted to leave a rib that would disappear at the muzzle.

Here it is after mucho sanding, still some work to do, but I'm getting close

I then added more JB weld to the barrel area and around the rear tang. The JB weld despite being sticky is quite runny, but no worries I am filling in that area later.
This time I added release agent (wax) to the taped areas so it would not stick.

It doesn't look pretty on the inside, but no one will see that and it does what it supposed to do, support the action front and rear.

I probably should have used Devcon, instead of JB Weld, but I already had JB Weld, so another lesson learned.
The yellow residue is wax, the blue is the tape...I'll clean up the over flow before we're done.

The barrel will be supported for the first couple of inches, the rest of the barrel will be free-floating.