Monday, October 10, 2016

The 10/22 Target Rifle Project part 7: The Stock

The stock is by far the most ambitious part of this build, so I saved this for last. 
I intend to modify a factory beech wood stock using pieces of poplar to create a custom target thumb-hole stock, fitted perfectly to myself.
Included will be a few modifications like a rear tang and a bedding solution using JB weld and some parts I had laying around the shop.


The first step was to figure out how big of pieces I needed to cut to make the stock. I traced a factory stock onto a big sheet of scrap paper


To figure out the size/location of the pistol grip/thumb-hole I used my the stock from my Hoplophobe Project that was almost completed

The new piece measures approx. 4.5 x 14", I will cut it a bit on the long side, I can always cut the butt stock to get the proper length of pull.



Looking at the overall profile, I think I want to build up the area behind the receiver. When I add the rear tang I might end up a little thin on material there.


 
Before cutting the new butt stock pieces we went to work cutting the original stock



I couldn't figure an easy way to cut the forend, so I decided to do it by hand. I drew a line just up from the take down screw hole



I removed the barrel band section



I then cut the pieces for the forend

and started gluing them on

Now the sides and bottom are glued on, I need to build a piece to plug the end and we can start making saw dust

I made the end piece from two pieces of 1x4 poplar

opening up the barrel channel, I'll work on this more later as I want a completely free-floated barrel



The popsicle sticks are to build up the area to make it thicker, I will follow the line tapering it to disappear at the front of the forearm. This will act as a finger hold as well as an accent.


I started with the rasping and filing.....I'll thin the new pieces and taper them toward the front.