Thursday, June 2, 2016

Rust bluing an SMLE Magazine

A short post today.....

After I blued my friend's Enfield No.1 Mk3 I realized that I had forgot to blue the magazine. These magazines were brazed welded together with brass, so they cannot go in the normal bluing tank anyway.

I sand blasted the magazine and set up my stuff to rust blue it.
If you have never seen the process done before, I have more details on my post where I rust blued the Ruger 3-screw Blackhawk, see it here

This is before:
 I am using the Mark Less Express Blue
 After two rounds
 After four rounds...hard to tell the difference once the bluing sets in
 After six rounds
 After seven rounds the magazine was not getting any darker, so I soaked it in water and baking soda to neutralize the acids
 Then coated it with Remoil