Thursday, December 8, 2022

Featured Gun: Varner Sporting Arms Favorite

 The story of the Varner Sporting Arms Favorite single shot 22 rifle should start with John Moses Browning who designed a falling block single shot rifle in 1878, receiving a patent for the design in 1879. In 1883 Browning sold the rights to Winchester who designated the rifle the Model of 1885.



In 1893 The J. Stevens Arms and Tool Company began producing a smaller version of the Browning rifle, giving it the name "Favorite". 


Some have stated that the design may have actually come from the British Martini-Henry rifle, which predates the Browning design, but the Stevens looks nothing like British "dropping block" design. Either way Stevens must have altered the mechanism enough to prevent patent infringement lawsuits, either that or Winchester just didn't care as they were focusing on other designs during the time the Favorite was manufactured.

The design was changed and improved over the years until 1939 when production ended. Savage (who has owned Stevens Arms since 1920) has brought the model back a couple of times.


Then in 1988 a man (we can assume his last name is Varner) in Marietta Georgia decided to make a copy, founding the Varner Sporting Arms Company, they produced a copy of the Favorite for just two years










Dayton-Traistor (the folks that also own the Hawken name) owns Varner now and rumors are that they will be bringing the company and the little rifles back, however their website is little more than some pictures





I sold one of these for my neighbor some years ago, it was a deluxe model with upgraded wood and checkering




3 comments:

  1. I am always impressed with your content. You do some of the most interesting info/blog content. I love the single shot rifles and nobody does many articles about them. I have old Savage Favorite, Steven 72, Meridan Model 10, BSA Model 12, and a plethora of single shot bolt action .22 rifles. Then there are the two Egyptian Rolling Block Rifles, one is very nice condition the other may be a candidate for a rebarrel. I appreciate your attention to detail when you do a historical posting as well; you do nice work and it is appreciated. Thank you. Bill J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mans name that brought the Varner Favorite to life was David Varner, born and raised in Marietta, GA. The reason I know this is I worked for him and I am the person that built the master pattern for the wood stocks.
    It never really was a viable business model but David was passionate about the little single shot .22

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just purchased a 22 magnum barrel for my Varner Hunter Favorite that I came across for sale and that was a streak of luck ! I would love to get a copy of the owners manual and associated paper work to accompany my gun for some reason mine was missing that . The wood is very beautiful and the gun itself is very well made piece of work . I am always looking for a nicer model of the one that I already have, that is how much I appreciate the quality workmanship put into this gun. It is ashamed that the company couldn't hang in there and keep producing this time honored Classic design .

    ReplyDelete