Monday, November 28, 2022

Repairing a Savage model 745B Shotgun

This post is a bit silly, a simple disassemble and reassemble, no real repair involved, but I am short on content as I have yet to have a workspace to work on guns after my move. 

A friend of mine dropped off a couple of long guns that he had inherited from his uncle, he wanted me to check them out, clean them and make any repairs if needed.

He is a retired LEO and is moderately knowledgeable of firearms, but not classic guns like the Savage/Springfield 745B shotgun shown here and the Winchester model 1894 that I repaired earlier this past summer (see that post here).

Savy gun enthusiasts may recognize the silhouette of the Savage/Springfield 745 as that of the Remington model 11/Browning Auto-5. That is because this is a copy, built by Savage under license. The guns were made between 1940 and 1949.

When I picked up the gun, I noticed the action was open, not uncommon for a semi-auto shotgun, but what was different was the magazine spring was jammed into the action.

My first thought is that someone reassembled the gun and forgot to install the follower.






In this picture you can see the spring and the wood plug (limiting the rounds for compliance with game laws).


I was incorrect in my assumption, someone simply installed the magazine spring upside down, the follower was there, only on the wrong end.



Cleaned up and ready to go







No comments:

Post a Comment