Sunday, December 15, 2019

Restoring another Remington 512 Sportmaster part 2

If you missed part 1, see it here

Now we will get started on the metal parts by disassembling the action


Here is the bolt broken down, some of the parts are color case hardened and still retain their colors.



The bolt body and handle have been polished and will not be reblued, I plan on leaving them polished.


Next comes the magazine tube, the follower and knob will be cleaned up and reblued


The barrel and mag tube are separated from the receiver


We begin polishing the reciever



This is a 2000 grit finish

The barrel and magazine outer tube get the same 2000 grit polish



The brass inner mag tube needed to be cleaned up as well




 I used some Brasso on it




then put it on the buffer to make it shine




I got most of the parts blued, I was missing the trigger guard at the time I blued these, I have since found it, it will go in the next batch 




Now we can start putting some things back together again. I start with the magazine tube. We had reblued the knob and follower, then polished the brass tube









Before assembly I paint the safety fire position indicator and the firing pin/ready fire indicator. I use Testors model enamel paint.


I also polished the trigger guard. here it is before





and after





Stay tuned for part 3

2 comments:

  1. Great work! I wish I had your abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your passion for making guns nice again! Been watching your work for some time...found you through gunandgame.com; your work is a labour of love

    ReplyDelete