Friday, August 13, 2021

Yet Another S&W model 19 Refinish Part 2

If you missed part one, click here

I started with the small parts, I taped up the knurled and threaded portions of the ejector rod and chucked it into my drill and polished it to a 1200 grit finish



Then I polished the ejector button


Next I start on the cylinder, it has some nasty gouges


I used this 1/4-20 bolt


I install the bushings and the bolt, then I chuck it into my drill press


I start with 100 grit, sanding in all directions and trying not to make the round part square or the square parts round....



I then step up to 150 grit, 220, 280 and 320


Then I put it in the drill press and polish with 400, 600, 800, 1200 and finish with crocus cloth



Now I will clean up the damage to the muzzle end of the barrel



I take small pieces of 100 grit sand paper and wrap it around a pencil and carefully sand just the area affected


Again working through 150, 220, 280, 320 and 400 grit


1200 grit


I then polish the other side of the muzzle and the nick at the top of the grip frame. 





The last part that needed attention was the front sight, we could have just replaced it, but the damage wasn't that bad


A little work with a file and sand paper and it is smooth again


I then tape off the barrel so I can sand blast


I sand blasted the both sides of the front sight area


Next step will be to blue the parts and then reassembly

No comments:

Post a Comment