Part two of this series, see the introduction here and part one here
I had to run a 1/4" drill bit through the recoil plate, removing a bit of wood, to fit a 1/4-20 cap screw
I also drilled the front trigger guard screw hole to 1/4"
I then cut the stock down, I will try to re-use the old pieces to fill the bottom of the gap. When cutting the wood I smelled a familiar smell....this "European Hardwood" smells like oak, but it doesn't look like American oak, maybe some different variety?
Here you can see the radius is off, we need to widen the barrel channel a bit
I wrapped sand paper around the receiver tube and sanded the barrel channel so the receiver would make full contact, we're almost there
I also relieved the rear of the receiver area to make room for the firing pin bolt
I cut the left over forend pieces and glued them together
Then I fitted and glued the extra wood to the stock to fill the gap, once it dries, I will cut, sand and profile the stock
I rounded the front of the stock and shortened it to come just short of the receiver tube, blending the repair in the process.
I had my Dad weld up the puller to the receiver, he took the liberty of grinding down the joint. I'll sand it smooth...
I plan on welding these long nuts to the bottom of the receiver to attach it to the stock
The connector nuts were too long for the rear attachment, so I marked and counter sunk a hole for a standard 1/4-20 nut .
I had my buddy mig-weld the nuts to the receiver.
I had to make some clearance for the rear nut
Test fitting the receiver to the stock