Friday, September 30, 2016

The 10/22 Target Rifle Project part 6: The Barrel


Happy Friday everyone!
This is a short post, but since I was breaking this build up into the different parts, I figured the barrel needed its own post.



I am sure many who are reading this are wondering why I didn't pony up the dough for an aftermarket bull barrel. I did actually shop around and found that Green Mountain Barrels has the best bargain (great quality with decent prices). A Green Mountain bull barrel would have set us back $150-$200 (depending on options), which could be 1/2 our entire budget. 



So instead I chose a factory one. Besides changing barrels on the 10/22 is easy and we can always upgrade later. In addition many shooters have been able to get great accuracy/precision from the factory barrels.
The barrel is a standard 18.5" factory Ruger stainless barrel, 1 in 16 right hand twist rifling.

It did not have a rear sight when I got it, but thankfully I have an extra one that came off my 10/22 Spencer Carbine project

The barrel will get a full polish, the rear sight installed and then installed on the receiver.

Here is the barrel before, it has a "brushed" finish, which looks OK, but I want Ava to shine.


We started with 400 grit sand paper sanding in both lengthwise and shoe shine fashion. I then went through 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit papers before finishing with Crocus Cloth.
And after polishing


I then installed the rear sight and set it aside while I finish up the the other parts. I'll give it another once over before final installation