Sunday, July 3, 2016

A Old-Timey Look for a newer S&W Revolver

A short post today, this is about making an newer gun look old. I have always liked the look of mother of pearl grips on a stainless or nickel plated revolver.....despite what General Patton thinks. 
If you aren't sure what I am referring to here, is the line from the 1970 motion picture Patton starring George C. Scott:

when a reporter asks about Patton's pearl handled Colts, he replies:   "They're ivory! Only a pimp from a cheap New Orleans whorehouse would carry a pearl-handled pistol"

The actual quote from Patton went a little different: "Son, only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries pearl handled revolvers, these are ivory" 

In spite of Patton's comments, I happen to like the look of mother of pearl grips on a shiny nickel or stainless gun. I also like Ivory, but ivory grips often sell for more than the pistol they are designed to fit. I guess that could also be said of real mother of pearl, but fortunately we have the option of buying faux grip panels that look like the real thing at a fraction of the cost.

Here are some examples of older nickel plated Smith & Wesson revolvers with pearl grips.




I have had a 1982 vintage S&W model 65 K-frame for more than 20 years. It was once the side arm for a State Trooper (Pennsylvania if I remember correctly) and it was the first revolver I purchased. 


I found these grips from a seller on ebay. They are not real Mother of Pearl, but a realistic facsimile and much more affordable.

The maker was in Thailand, but had excellent feedback and a decent price so I figured I would take a chance and ordered up a pair.

The fit and finish were pretty damn good for the price I paid, and the look is exactly what I was after!


 As a bonus that had great looking silver S&W emblems
Some of the pictures above were found freely on the world wide web and are used under the guidelines of Fair Use, per Title 17 of the U.S. Code.
If you own the copyright to any of these images and wish them to be credited or removed, please contact me immediately.