Saturday, January 30, 2016

Rifle Case Repair

Sometimes repairs do not involve the guns themselves, but their accessories.

I had this nice old canvas gun case. The material is similar to the stuff Cahartt makes their pants and jackets from (I think the proper term for the material is Cotton-Duck?).

I love these older cases, they are well built and have character. Whenever I see them at yard sales and gun shows for cheap, I snap them up.

At any rate one of the plastic handles broke and I had been thinking of ways to repair it.



The idea came to me late one night while I was laying in bed. I could use a roll pin and some epoxy or JB weld to make the repair.
I happen to have this thin spring steel roll pin in my misc parts box (I save every small spring, clip, screw etc...you never know when you may be able to use it).


I cut it to length and slid it onto the metal ring

Then I mixed up the JB weld and applied it to the roll pin and plastic handle, bridging the gap.




After the JB Weld had cured I tested out the handle, it has full range of motion and is as strong as it was before...problem solved. I may paint it brown so it isn't so noticeable.



This is just another one of those things I do to save some money....

I subscribe the Red Green philosophy: "If they can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"








No comments:

Post a Comment