Tuesday, July 14, 2020

The Mauser Sporter Project Part 3

If you missed parts one and two click on the links below

Part One
Part Two 

When we left off, we needed to finish fitting the butt plate, then begin working over the stock, preparing it for the oil finish



Using a straight edge to check for high spots


Before going too far, I needed to drill the holes for the sling swivels



 Next I steam out the dents, the stock had been in storage for a while and had a few small dents. A wet rag and a hobby iron works to raise them




Then I sand the stock, starting with 150 grit, working my way up to 400 grit

Then I raise the grain with the same wet towel I steamed the dents out with. After the wood dries the fibers will lift up, I knock them back down by gently sanding with 400 grit, being careful to not remove any more wood, just knock the fibers down



We'll be using Minwax Antique Oil Finish



The first coat of oil goes on and I noticed a bunch of sanding marks, I will let it sit for 24 hours, then sand them out and start the first coat over again


Here it is after the second coat, the wood is getting a little darker and the grain is popping




Stay tuned for part 4

No comments:

Post a Comment