Sunday, June 21, 2020

Featured Gun: The Winchester Model 47 Rifle

The Winchester model 47 rifle is a .22 rimfire, bolt action single shot rifle.
The rifle was the first post-war rifle from Winchester, having been designed during the war. 
The leaders of Winchester gave authorization for its development on Wednesday May 31st, 1944, one week before D Day.





The first model 47 rifles were shipped as "warehouse stock" on July 13, 1948 and was first listed in the Winchester catalog on January 14th, 1949.
Production ended in 1954 after 43,123 units having been manufactured.





The model 47 had a few unique features. The first and most notable is the use of an automatic safety, similar to that of the Stevens model 73. When the bolt is retracted for loading, the safety is automatically engaged, as is the cocking mechanism.
The model 47 is also the only pre-1964 Winchester bolt action .22 to feature a red "fire ready" indicator.
The rifles chambered .22 Short, Long and Long Rifle cartridges and had a built in feeding system so that a cartridge could be dropped into the ejection window and reliably fed into the chamber.

The safety lever, trigger and bolt were all chrome plated.




The bolt featured twin extractors, with a firing pin that protruded from the top of the bolt face.





The stocks were of the pistol grip type, made from straight grain American walnut and featured a plastic butt plate.

The barrel was blued, carbon steel measuring 25 inches.


Specs:

Action: Bolt Action, Single Shot
Caliber: .22 Short, Long & Long Rifle
Weight: 5 1/4 lbs.
Overall Length: 42 inches
Barrel Length: 25 inches
Sights: Dovetail mounted, open sporting rear, bead front
Stock: Pistol grip, walnut
Years Produced: 1948-1954
Production QTY: 43,123




This post was inspired by a project rifle that I purchased last year, it is in pretty bad shape and of course is missing the bolt, but the price was only $15, so I figured it was worth the gamble. Now I need to find the parts to repair/restore the rifle.
Here is what it looked like when I brought it home:




The toe was missing a large chunk and the butt plate is MIA


Not much of the original bluing is left.






Sources:

Henshaw, Thomas, (1993), The History of Winchester Firearms 1866-1992, Clinton, NJ: New Win Publishing Inc.

Collectors Corner: Collecting the Bolt Action Winchester .22 Rifle by Wayne Miller




12 comments:

  1. don't know if you sell parts. I am looking for a bolt for a model 47 and have not been able to find one. You have a nice assortment of 22's. Thank you Ron Davies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my hands on one right now. Was under my aunties bed. She didnt even know what it was all the working parts are here decent condition

      Delete
    2. If you want to get rid of it i need parts call me 304-595-4251

      Delete
  2. I picked up this old model 47 and as soon as you close the bolt that thing fires without touching the trigger and I can't seem to find parts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds like your firing pin is frozen in the forward position

      Delete
  3. I have a Win model 47 that has the same problem.Fires when you close the bolt. I have changed both the trigger and the firing pin. Did not fix. Any input.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently picked up a Model 47 at a Pawn Shop for $75.00. It is in generally good condition appearance wise and has a very clean bore with sharp, well defined rifling. There is only one problem, the bolt is complete but the handle which is screwed into the bolt is missing. That is not a great problem since I can easily make a new handle. But, does anyone know the exact thread pitch of the threads where the bolt handle attaches to the bolt? I have been unable to find anything that will thread into if. I have tried many SAE and METRIC screws to no avail.
    It seems to be common practice for some tool and gun manufacturers to use ODDBALL threads on some parts.
    It would be nice to find a replacement bolt handle as well but it seems that there are a lot of guns out there which are missing the complete bolt assembly.
    I have already began reprofiling the stock since it looks like it was made by an inexperienced employee and is bulky looking and feeling..
    I intend to reshape the fore end to a more sleek profile as well as defining the pistol grip along with adding checkering.
    I know that this is like putting lipstick on a pig and some may say that I’m ruining the collectors value.
    Let’s face it though, this is not the greatest 22 that Winchester made and it needs those upgrades.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am planning to shoot my Model 47 soon. I need to do a good look over, because it was probably last shot in the 60s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need bolt assembly model 47. What other models fit ? Lynchhickory5@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. TendrĂ¡s cerrojo 72a

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does anyone know if these only came in Walnut???

    ReplyDelete