Monday, May 25, 2020

The Winchester 77 Project Part 4

If you missed the first three posts, click on the links below

Part 1 
Part 2  
Part 3

The parts have been reblued and soaked in oil for a couple of days, time to start putting this rifle back together



Because I was unable to source a replacement I will have to use some "backyard engineering" to fix the loose safety lever.  




I don't have access to a tig welder so I will use JB KwikWeld to tighten it up the joint.



I applied it with a toothpick


While I was waiting for the JB Weld to cure I started the assembly on the action. I had to remove the barrel, turns out the barrel goes on last. 

I drifted in the sights 




Then with the help of my NRA Firearms Assembly 3 I got the action back together and working.


Then re-installed the barrel


Getting the stock ready:

I installed the vintage sling swivels that I reblued, using some carnuba wax as lubricant.




Then I cleaned up the trigger guard. I used an old tooth brush and some Armor All, I don't like to use Hoppe's #9 or other bore solvents as they can destroy some types of plastic.




I also installed the mag catch and spring and checked the fit of the magazine.




Final touches


Time to clean up the old leather sling. I bought it at a gun show for $1, I am always on the lookout for deals like these

The brass had oxidized creating the familiar green stuff know as "verdigris". If you didn't know that .....ya learned something new today!
I cleaned the brass (brass plated) parts with Braso




I keep an assortment of brass "Chicago bolts" on hand, and I needed a shorter set as the old ones would not tighten up.





Then I installed the rings and the scope




Finished!












the plugged holes are much less noticeable now






Before and After Comparison shots
















Costs for the project:

Gun purchase: $50.00
Reproduction butt plate: $13.75
Vintage Sling Swivels: $2
Vintage Sling: $1
2-7 x 32mm Scope: $33.08
Vintage Scope Rings: $1 

-$5.00 (sold the old butt plate)
 
Total: $95.83

not too bad, I have seen the original magazines selling for more than that......

On to the next project!

1 comment:

  1. Outstanding job. Thank you for posting your project. Question: How did you fix the safety and where did you find the parts?

    ReplyDelete