Sunday, May 17, 2020

The Winchester 77 Project Part 3

If you missed parts one and two click on the links below

Part 1 
Part 2  

Time to disassemble the rest of the rifle and begin the process of refinishing the steel parts



I'll start with the bolt


after a through cleaning with Hoppes #9, I polished the outside of the bolt, lubed then reassembled


Then I separate the parts, those that will be reblued and those that will be cleaned up and re-installed after bluing


The trigger was the first to get cleaned up and polished


Followed by the rear sight parts


I used a variety of tools to clean up the front sight


Then I cleaned up the charging handle, it had a little rust, but nothing too bad



Then I turn my attention to the barrel, besides the rust pitting there are dents in the steel



The front half of the barrel has been sanded with 100 grit, it is almost ready to step up to 150 grit


The front half is now at a 150 grit and the back half has just started on the 100 grit




Notice I stay away from the roll marks for the most part


At the 220 grit level now



….and 400 grit, this is as far as I am going to go, I want to replicate the factory finish, which is usually close to the 400 grit finish



Next we start of the receiver, this is how it looked before the sanding commenced





I start with 100 grit, there is a lot of scratches and pitting on the top. I may end up sand blasting the top of the receiver and polishing the sides....or maybe give the top a 220 grit finish and the sides a 400-600 grit finish




As stated before, I am leaving the screws in place and will make them blend in


150 grit finish


I then stepped up to 220 grit, then 280, 320, 400, 600 all the way up to 5000 grit







No comments:

Post a Comment