Thursday, February 20, 2020

Quick Projects: Gun Briefcase, grip restoration and magazine rehab


Gun owners are always looking for a discreet way to transport their firearms.

I got this small hard sided briefcase for free the other day and thought it might fit my Ruger Charger....but it was a few inches too short. So I decided to make it into a gun case anyway and give it away to another needy gun owner.

Here is what the outside looks like, made of sturdy plastic 



The inside


I cut some closed cell 1/2" thick foam to glue to the bottom side


I used contact cement to glue it to the plastic



I then cut some "pluck & pull" open celled foam to cradle the firearm(s)


 Finally I used some Armor All to clean up the dusty exterior


Here it is ready to be given away, I even found the original keys and the locks actually work



I picked up a set of these Ruger GP100 grips at a gun store for $2.00, I didn't need them, but I figured I could clean them up and sell them for a small profit








The aluminum parts need some help and the finish on the wood is horrible




After sanding to 600 grit finish




I then applied oil and sanded in 3 coats, I used the oil as a lubricant, then forced the slurry into the grain




The metal parts cleaned up



I then cleaned up the rubber, and this is the result:



Next up was this rusty parkerized Beretta M9 magazine that I got for free.








Reblued


and finished



Before and after





1 comment:

  1. Really nice job on all of it, but I liked the mag the best. I enjoy this type of little projects a lot.

    ReplyDelete