Saturday, February 1, 2020

Featured Gun: J.C. Higgins model 36



The J.C. Higgins model 36 was a semi-auto .22 rifle marketed by Sears, Roebuck and Co. The rifle was manufactured by High Standard of Hamden, CT (it was the same as their model 34).

Here is an excerpt from the owner's manual describing the gun:

Look at the features built into this low priced semi-automatic rifle. It's easy to carry and fast handling for field shooting and plinking. With plenty of accuracy for target shooting too. As fast as you can pull the trigger it will fire 17 shots at game or target.
A built-in mount base will accommodate the 4 power telescopic sight which is specifically adapted to this rifle when magnified sighting is desired. The balance and compact design along with the craftsmanship used in manufacturing this gun make it an all-around favorite.



The model 36 was a descendent of the model 30, which was made from 1950 to 1954. The model 30's charging handle sat forward of the receiver, on the left side of the gun, similar to the Winchester model 77.

J.C. Higgins model 30

The model 36  was introduced the following year and only marketed for two years, making them somewhat rare. The rifle was re-introduced in 1962 as the Ted Williams model 34.



Perhaps the most unique feature of the model 36 was the wood forend that extended rearward to cover the sides of the receiver.



The aluminum receiver has built in 3/8" scope rails



The safety sits at the front of the trigger guard

The forend features a contoured finger groove providing a comfortable purchase on the gun, the sights are standard fare: buckhorn leaf rear and ramped dovetail in the front.



The take-down screw is mounted midway down the forend



The tubular magazine stops 3" short of the barrel and is loaded via the usual cartridge shaped key hole.




Stats:

Make: J.C. Higgins (mfg by High Standard)
Model: 36 (Sears model 583.81)
Years Manufactured: 1955-1957
Caliber: .22 Long Rifle
Action: Semi-Automatic, blow back
Magazine: Tubular, under barrel
Capacity: 16 rounds +1
Overall All Length: 41 1/2"
Barrel Length: 24"
Length of Pull: 13 1/2"
Weight: 5 1/2 lbs.
Materials/Finish: Aluminum alloy receiver and trigger housing with dark matte gray anodizing, steel blued barrel, walnut stocks










I purchased my model 36 for $10 from a gun dealer who was liquidating an estate. It was a little beat up, but appeared to be in complete and working order.


 
 This is another start to a restoration project. Stay tuned as I make this rifle look like new again.

References


High Standard Info

16 comments:

  1. I am the proud owner of one of the model 36 22's. Many many great days, and 1000's of rounds of shooting this rifle with my dad. Mine is in great shape but I do want to order some parts while they are still around.

    I'd like to stay in touch with you while you are restoring you model 36 aka High Standard Model 34. You can reach me either by this lcds4all@yahoo.com or my regular email jerry@seetronics.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these High Standard .22s (sexiest 22s every made) and just getting into them. Own a model 31 and putting togehter a model 30 with left-side charging (bolt) handle. Not sure what makes the Higgins 36/ HS 34 different than the higgins 30? I saw something that saying early model 29-33 forearm wood different than later models.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You show the J.C. Higgins model 36 being listed in Sears catalog between 1955 and 1957. This may be true, but I worked for sears in 1952 and the model 36 was a top selling model back then. I always liked the model 36 and when I found one in a yard sale a few years back I bought it. Back then Sears also sold 22 caliber pistols and revolvers as well as shotguns and high power rifles - Mauser 30-06 or 270 caliber, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am giving my 36 a long overdue deep cleaning. I removed part #10 [PN 4013] Cartridge lifter. I am having a hell of a time getting it back in and not exactly sure how the spring should position. I see there is a V relief in the part for the spring.. But can't seem to get the Magazine Throat L & R and the Cartridge lifter all together and get the pin in.. Any suggestions how to do this

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got it together.. NOT A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE. Got the Lifter installed along and pushed an Aluminum nail thru to hold it.. The pushed another in from 1 side to get the magazine throat and the lifter. Then again from the opposite side doing the same thing.. Now all parts held by the Aluminum nail.. The wrestled the correct pin thru and all is together.. Won't be doing that again any time soon.. Still love my 36!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just bought a model 36 home, shoots good but cross hairs in original scope are gone ? Anyway to repair ??
    Tnanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is/was a scope repair service in Oklahoma that repaired the old Weavers . I apologize for forgetting the name, but a search for Weaver El Paso scope repair will likely locate them.
      Kivaari

      Delete
  7. I was given a model 36 thanks for the info I need to restore it the guns shoots great but jams every once in a while so I hope to fix this problem
    Thanks Jim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim, this in response to your comment to Anonymous of Aug, 27, 2022: how did your effort to fix your occasional jamming of your Model 36 work out? I bought my Model 36 when I was a teen-ager. I've put a lot of rounds through it over the years but lately it has started jamming after a few shots. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha guys, just bought a model 36 in excellent condition with the original scope. What value would you put on it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have my fathers 36 and am looking for a scope if anyone out there knows where I might find one

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did the model 36 come with a scope? Inherited mine from my grandfather and don't remember ever seeing one on it. I was fairly young though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a JC Higgins Mod 36 # 583.81 Also has factory scope. my dads all most perfect condition my dads. I would like to see if some could call me e mail or text me where may I get parts for it if I need some. Please and thank you 208 841 6561

    ReplyDelete
  13. One more question I see two of you have had jamming issues. Could you share with me how and what you used to fix the rifle from jamming. Again Pease and thank you. Rob 208 841 6561 text call or email Idahocraze@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. The rifle was made by Hi-Standard which went out of business years ago, GunParts.com is about the only place that may have used parts, or you can try ebay. I don't know if the gun has jamming issues as I have yet to fire it.

    ReplyDelete