Saturday, January 11, 2020

The Savage-Stevens 325A Project Phase II Part 2


If you missed the previous post on this build click the links below:

Part 1


Before we begin adding wood and sanding I need to fit the custom butt pad to the stock







Next I cut out the birch wood for the cheek piece






I then added the second piece of wood (no pictures, sorry)

Before I could add the third piece, I needed to make clearance for the bolt. I also started on the thumb hole




I decided to forgo the third piece as it would interfere with the operation of the bolt, so I will use body filler to fill and blend the area on the right side of the cheek piece.

Next I cut out some pieced of birch for the grip, they don't need to be identical or perfectly fitted, as long as I have enough surface area to get a good bond


Before gluing I knock out the poorly installed piece or mother of pearl, no one will have to see that again




Here they are glued on and ready for shaping




Once the glue was dry I started to clean up the pieces of wood added to the grip, making them more symmetrical. 


And blending the old and new wood


Opening the thumbhole and starting on the finger grooves





I mixed up some body filler, to start with the blending of the pieces, I mixed it a little on the hot side as I had an issue with the hardening agent, it was separating in the tube.




While waiting for the "mud" to cure, I drilled the hole for the rear sling swivel




The first application of body filler after curing



More sanding and profiling



More "cake batter", I will slowly build up the right side of the cheek rest and blend in the other areas with the original stock wood




More progress







No comments:

Post a Comment