Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Featured Gun: Revelation model 107 Rifle

The Revelation model 107 was a bolt action .22 Magnum rimfire rifle produced by Mossberg and marketed by Western Auto Stores throughout the U.S.



The rifles were brand-labeled verions of the Mossberg model 640K. Revelation being the name used by Western Auto on all their brand labeled guns, regardless of the original manufacturer



If you were not aware, there was a time in America when you could buy a rifle at the auto parts store, the hardware store, department store, hell even some gas stations sold rifles...….and our crime rate was a fraction of what it is now...



The Mossberg 640K was introduced in 1959, the same year Alaska and Hawaii joined the Union and Jiffy Pop popcorn hit the market.


It was also in 1959 when Winchester introduced the .22 Winchester Magnum Rimifire (.22 WMR).

The .22 Long Rifle top and .22 Magnum bottom.

There are only a few things that are unique about this rifle. 
It feeds from a box magazine loaded from underneath and has a built in scope rail, as well as threaded holes for a factory Mossberg S-330 Peep Sight.
The factory equipped sights were standard affair, buckhorn rear with ramp elevation adjustment and dovetailed post in front.

The bolt is farther forward that what most bolt action rifle shooters might be accustomed to.
The bolt, which cocks on opening, does not rotate with the handle. In addition the bolt is equipped with dual opposing extractors for positive extraction of spent cases.

photo courtsey of ebay

The trigger guard and receiver end cap are made of plastic, as are the butt plate and grip cap.

The receivers were bead blasted prior to bluing for a matte finish, the barrel received a standard satin blued finish. The trigger and bolt body appear to be wearing a satin, nickel plated finish.



The stock on our subject gun is walnut, but I have read that the guns made in later years had stocks made from hardwood. This could help narrow down the year of manufacture.




Specs:

Caliber: .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire
Action: Bolt action, repeater
Trigger Pull: 3.5 lbs average
Length of Pull: 13 3/4"
Magazine: Box magazine, 5 & 10 round capacity
Barrel: 8 groove rifling
Barrel Length: 24"
Overall Length: 44 3/4"
Weight: 6 lbs
Finish: Blued steel, walnut stock, plastic trim
Manufactured: 1959-1984


It turns out that the magazines are the same as the Savage model 93 .22 Magnum & 17 HMR rifles. I found an online seller advertising these Savage mags for the Mossberg. I happen to own a Savage model 93-17 and so I tested the mag in the Revelation. It fit and functioned perfectly.

Part number 90001 for the 5 rounder and 90010 for the 10 round magazine.




Of course the Savage 93 series started life as the Lakefield Arms model 93. I am guessing Lakefield copied the Mossberg magazine, rather than recreate the wheel so to speak.


This post was inspired by a rifle my Father purchased. It features a factory Revelation branded scope. The stock is walnut with some mild figuring and includes a plastic grip cap and butt plate both with white line spacers. A set of 1" sling swivels rounds out the package.



The magazine you see here is the same one I had in my Savage model 93-17. 







Sources:

Rimfire Central Forums
Gun Data



12 comments:

  1. Great post. I have one of these. Nice to know the Savage mags work in it. Fine rifle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a old revelation 22 bolt action I got when I was a kid. through out time the bullet extractor came off. MODEL 01Y and one more # P391690 anyone out there now where i can find the extractor. Thanks. trying to fix it up for my Grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mine and will never get rid of it. I like it more than my Browning SA22, not to say my Browning is not up to par, it never hangs up and puts the lead hole in hole, just saying that my Revelation is that good. I don't know if all the stocks look as figured as mine, but mine has a incredibly figured stock on it. I refinished it to a more high standard finish and man it really brought the grain out compared to the original finish. It did not seem like it was that nice of a piece of walnut with original finish, but after sanding it down I was impressed and happy i did. If you have one look at the stock real good at the grain pattern, if you see nice grain under old finish, than refinish it and you will be amazed at how it make the gun look very high end other than the plastic parts. I'm going to machine aluminum parts to replace the few plastic ones and put a better trigger in it and that's all that gun needs. That was a awesome post you did. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article ~ thanks for shaking out the mysteries a little. Hope I find one someday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article ~ thanks for shaking out the mysteries a little. Hope I find one someday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article ~ thanks for shaking out the mysteries a little. Hope I find one someday

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's one worth without a scope. I've got one my dad bought a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just got me one. Shoots good and is very accurate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Any idea what size the dovetail rails are for mounting a scope. I just got mine which was my Mom's dad's rifle. First rifle I ever shot and I believe I was the last one to shoot it some 40 years ago

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can any body tell me about the feeding problem with my Revelation R107A

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a Revelation 107A and would love to change out the stock for a more resilient composite stock. Any idea what stocks would work for this model? I cant seem to find any Mossberg 640 composites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sight grooves are standard 3/8" dovetail. I put a set of Williams Firesights on mine. Feeding problems are most likely magazine related. Clean the mag really good and lube with Hornady One Shot cleaner/dry lube then give it a shot. Literally. Mag spring could be weak as well.

    I've never had any sort of issues with mine in the 50 some years I've owned it but I am maticulous at keeping my firearms clean and lubed properly.

    Great article OP!

    ReplyDelete