Monday, July 15, 2019

The Stevens model 73 Project part 2

If you missed part one, click here

So when we got to looking at the bolt we found a broken firing pin and a NFG extractor, so I ordered up NOS ones online




While waiting for the parts to arrive, I started on the stock

The replacement butt plate I found was a little too long, but the top screw hole lined up, so I drilled out the bottom one and glued in a dowel...and yes I wiped up the excess glue, thanks for asking....



After curing for 24hrs I cut it flush, then sanded with 100 grit paper and a block



Next I removed the old finish using Citristrip, I do this before fitting the butt plate, because once the butt plate is fitted, I will leave it on the gun for the sanding and finishing.





Next I drilled out the top hole for the new #12 screw and marked and drilled the bottom hole







Then I fit the butt plate to the stock, using the belt sander



100 grit sand paper with a block, cleans up the diggers left by the belt sander.


Then I start sanding with 100 grit, working my way up to 400 grit



400 grit finish


There are still some small imperfections, but this is a .22 single shot, not a safe queen.....


I decided to leave the stock the blond color and rubbed in the first coat of Tru-Oil by hand.


Like a dummy, I forgot to drill the holes for the sling swivels before putting on the Tru-oil.
So after the first coat was dry, I drilled the necessary holes using a jig made for me by a friend of the blog.




After four coats of Tru-Oil rubbed in by hand




Next we get the metal parts cleaned up and ready for bluing


1 comment:

  1. is there a trick to removing the firing pin and ejector from the bolt? mine slides back and forth but will not come out of the slot on the bolt breech.

    ReplyDelete