Monday, July 1, 2019

Featured Gun: The Stevens model 73

The Stevens model 73 was a single shot, bolt action, rimfire rifle made between 1965 and 1980







The model 73 was a derivation of the model 63 that was introduced in 1963 and discontinued in 1969.



Both the models 63 & 73 featured an anodized, cast aluminum alloy receiver and trigger housing. One thing that made this single shot rifle unique, is that it used a hammer.






The receivers were grooved for mounting a rimfire scope and were not much more than a hollow tube. The take-down bolt goes through the receiver & locks into the barrel extension. 

The stocks were "walnut finished hardwood" and featured a "hard rubber" butt pad, although all of the ones I have seen appeared to be plastic.

The bolts were modular, pieced together from cast, forged and stamped steel parts, it is not uncommon to find one missing the bolt knob or the bolt handle altogether.
The firing pin free floated in the bolt, travel being limited by a dent made in the metal by a chisel. The extractor was spring steel and the ejector was a spring loaded pin mounted in the face of the bolt (you can see it protruding below).





As best I can tell, the guns originally sold for $22 or less ($21.95 in the oldest ad I could find). 

The rifles were made in Savage's Westfield, Massachusetts plant, by 1965 Savage had closed the old Steven's Chicopee Falls plant (it actually closed in 1960) and the Savage Utica, NY plant sometime in the early '60s.



One unique feature was the safety, which automatically applied itself when ever the bolt was opened. 







Specs:
Caliber: .22 Short, Long & Long Rifle
Barrel Length: 20"
Rifling: 1 in 16" right hand twist
Overall Length: 38.5"
Weight: 4.75 lbs
Length of Pull: 14"
Production: 1965-1980

There was also a youth model called the 73Y. It featured a shorter, 18" barrel and a length of pull of 12.5".




This post was inspired by another project. I picked this rifle up a while back, it was missing the bolt and was in need of a refinishing.




Stay tuned for some posts on the restoration of this gun



15 comments:

  1. Hi. If I wanted to buy ammo for this gun today, what would I look for? Could you recommend a brand? I don't know much about guns, so the more detailed your response the better.

    Thank you,

    Island

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's a .22 single shot, any .22 short, .22 long or .22 long rifle ammo will work just fine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Savage model 73 with serial # P353374. Am I able to find the exact date? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I received one of these for my 12th birthday on our ranch in North Dakota. Spent many years keeping varmints away from the homestead. I remember my dad saying he paid $25.00 for it. It's been in my closet for years. This has inspired me to get it out and shoot it a bit. And, maybe restore it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine is the most accurate gun I've ever owned. I got it in 1967 when I was nine. No scope needed. Had trouble with the extractor breaking off, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need parts breech bolt for a savage Stevens model # 73y does someone have it my email is stephen.richards1955@Gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got a 73y for my 16th b'day feom my grandfather and I love this gun! I am actually looking for either a new stock or a custom one and a firing pin! I would love to restore this gun, it was fun to takw to the range and its ready for my grandson when he turns 16!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is this the same model as a Revelation 101? Parts look identical. Revelation may have been Western Auto.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking for a firing pin that's descriptive one of the pictures on this page it's number three

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may ne able to find a firing pin on Numerich Gun parts , I made my own and it works well but the bullet extractor I've replaced 2 times and both broke into pieces .

      Delete
  10. Can you please give me a good price for this gun and what it might be worth if it was cracked in the wood

    ReplyDelete
  11. Does anyone know where I can obtain an owners manual/diasassembly instructions?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a 73y , what are they worth?

    ReplyDelete