Sunday, May 6, 2018

Past Projects Part 2



back to where we left off, I was at home one day in between projects, I had bought an H&R/New England single shot shotgun for home defense and was going to cut the barrel down, so after hack sawing the barrel down to 19", I gave it a quick polish and reblue, here is the newly finished barrel compared to the original finish on the part I cut off:


I found this shotgun at the gun show, it was a Revelation which is a Mossberg 500 that was brand labeled for Western Auto Supply stores. I shortened the barrel to 19.25", the trigger guard had some broken tabs, so I ordered a new one, along with a Zombie pistol grip/forend kit from Hogue. Some Zombie stickers were added for effect.




More projects from local forum members, this one a S&W model 29, the owner spilled something on the gun that removed the bluing (seems to be more common than I realized), so I removed the old bluing, carefully polished the gun and reblued it, hoping I was matching the factory effort, it turned out pretty nice....but again I didn't know how to take a picture, see more here


There was also my buddy's Sig P226 that the slide, barrel and hammer needed refinishing, more pictures here


Then there was this S&W model 19, see more here

Before (hard to tell the difference, go to the link above)

After


Then there was my Father's Ruger Single Six, it was an old model 3-screw. We looked at options for refinishing the grip frame (which is aluminum), in the end he decided to polish it.
See more here

 before
after

I purchased this Ruger Super Blackhawk for a reasonable price, it needed refinishing, so I gave it a high polished finish and reblued it. The finish on the frame and grip frame started out black and then turned plum, which is typical of Ruger revolvers. See more here

before 


After


Better pictures showing the plum color




I had sold my Remington 30-06 rifle and replaced it with this Savage 110, It had a crappy birch stock, So I gave it the same camo treatment, more pics here


I tried to help this rusty Mossberg, but the metal is pretty thin on the barrels and magazines...not much I could do except sand blast it and reblue see the story here




This one was a bit of a nightmare. I reblued this Westernfield 30-30 (Marlin 336) for a forum member, it didn't turn out that great, so I told him I would reblue it again if he wanted me to. A long time (a year or so) he came back and asked that I reblue it again, I did, got crappy results again (one of the frustrations of the hobby), so I reblued it a third time and finally got good results, see the whole story here



One of the amateur gunsmiths on the local forum was restoring a Winchester model 1890, after seeing my work on my Father's model 1906 he asked me to reblue it

Before



I am still searching for the after pics

Here is a Remington M1917 that I reblued for a friend of my Father
Before:


After:



Here is a Federal Ordnance 1911 that I reblued, someone had polished it before and dished out the holes and rollmarks






At the same time I reblued this Ruger Mark II




 Another S&W model 19, the gun had been sand blasted and the logos were partially obliterated



It must have been revolver season....I reblued this Dan Wesson model 15, it had been Duracoated and the owner didn't care for it, so I attempted to make it look as close to factory as I could, see more here





I also refinished this cute little Colt Police Positive .22 revolver at the same time, it was pretty rough when brought to me, see more here


My neighbor brought me his Ruger Security Six to reblue, it was in pretty good shape, just holster wear, so I de-greased it and blued it without removing the old bluing (a proof of concept experiment).


I was at the gun show one day and overheard a table holder trying to convince another show attendee to buy a sporterized Arisaka type 99 rifle, the offer started at $100, then $50, then $35 and he offered to throw in a box of Hornady ammo, when the first patron walked away, I swooped in and took the deal. I then proceeded to clean up the rifle by reshaping the stock, fitting a new recoil pad, polishing and rebluing the metal, see the story here



stay tuned for part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment